Because it’s the weekend, I thought I’d do a post on drinking. Namely, the smartest things to drink and the things to keep in mind. Aside from the obvious ones (like keep your clothes on, don’t set your purse down and write your address on your hand if you’re going out), I want to share a few things with you that I just learned about drinking alcohol.
First let’s talk Cocktail.
Oops, I meant let’s talk Cocktails.
Here are the five healthiest cocktail choices:
- Jack & Diet Coke. Ask for the whiskey separately to control your calories and alcohol intake. (On a side note, I read somewhere that Jack Daniels is good for mixing, so when you say Jack & Diet, make sure you get Jack!)
- Skinny Cosmopolitan. Lime, No Sugar Added (or, Diet) Cranberry Juice, and Vodka. Using regular Cranberry juice adds a lot of extra calories so make sure you ask for light or diet.
- Skinny Gin & Tonic. A normal gin & tonic is nearly 200 calories, but when you use diet gin? The calories are instantly cut in half.
- Bacardi Cuba Libre. Huh? That’s what I said. It’s a shot of Bacardi rum, half a shot of espresso, three dashes of decanter bitters, a lime wedge and Diet Coke. A bit to remember, but the healthiest on the list. Although, caffeine and alcohol are not a good mix.
- Grey Goose Martini. Two shots per martini is pretty high in calories, but if you stick to one, you should be good.
With all that said, I think of all of those drinks I’d be most likely to drink the Skinny Cosmopolitan, because I like diet cranberry juice. I guess the problem is finding a bar that serves diet juice? I don’t go to too many bars, so I don’t know if that’s something they normally carry.
It’d be a stretch for me to try those because I likes my wine & beer:
I’m realizing as I see the picture above that the cup I’m using to drink beer out of is a little large. If it’s any consolation, I didn’t fill it up to the top and I was drinking Budweiser Select 55. I need to get a less-hardcore cup, I see that now.
I guess I could set aside Missus Wine and Mister Beer and try a cocktail… why not? I don’t drink that often but next time I’m out and it’s time to order a drink I will definitely try that Skinny Cosmo.
Now for some facts:
- Did you know that hard liquor has between 75 and 125 calories per ounce? That’s a lot. If you’re looking for a “buzz” you might go for a couple of lower calorie beers, instead. If you’re looking to enjoy a drink, try one of the skinny cocktails above, sticking to just one.
- Red wine is good for you because it contains antioxidants that are good for your heart. Try a glass of red wine at a restaurant instead of the white, or instead of a cocktail.
- The standard size for one “drink” is: beer- 12 ounces, liquor- 1 to 1 1/4 ounces, wine- 4 to 5 ounces, and wine coolers- 10 ounces.
Any facts you want to share with me?
What do you order as a drink when you go out?
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like...